Popular Searches
  • Big Bin Events
  • Business Licensing
  • Eco Stations
  • Movies on the Square
  • Pay Tickets
  • Permits
  • Spray Parks

Contact Us Visiting?

Fence Permit

Fences higher than the zoning regulations allow require a development permit.


About the Service

Two factors that need to be considered when building a fence are its height and location. Both are regulated by the zoning bylaw. If the height and location guidelines are followed, no development permit is required.

Zoning Regulations

The height of a fence/wall/gate should not exceed:

  • 1.85 m (6.1 ft) in any portion of the rear yard
  • 1.2 m (4 ft) in any portion of the front yard

Fence Diagram

Tall Fences

The height of a fence, wall or gate is determined using the height of the material being used to construct it (not including fence posts). The height is determined by measuring from the general ground level 0.5 metres back of the property line of the site on which the fence, wall, or gate is to be constructed. 

Fences higher than the zoning regulations allow will require a development permit.

Construction Materials

A fence can be built out of wood, brick, stone, concrete or metal. However, electric fencing and barbed wire cannot be used.

Garbage stand as part of a fence

The garbage cans should be accessible from the front of a garbage stand, not the top. It should be large enough to accommodate your garbage cans, yard wastes in the summer, and your blue bag recyclables.

If building a garbage stand, the stand should be no more than 5 feet high. The floor of the stand should be about 12 inches high.

Garbage stands without doors are preferable. If used, doors should be hinged on the side, not the top. Latches should be operable while wearing mittens or gloves.


How Do I Obtain the Service?

Application Procedure

To apply, mail or bring the following items to our office:

  • Either fill out the Residential Building Application form or provide us with your name, address and contact phone number. Include all additional documentation that pertains to the type of construction project.
  • Your property's municipal address and legal description (plan number, block and lot as shown on your tax notice).
  • All application fees

Call before you dig: 1-800-242-3447


  1. A Development Planner reviews the application for an over-height fence using the Zoning Bylaw regulations.
  2. If your application is approved, we will notify your neighbours within 60m (197 ft.) of your property. Your neighbours have 14 days to appeal the decision.
  3. If your application is refused, you can appeal through the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board, Churchill Building, 10019-103 Avenue NW, Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 0G9,  Phone: 780-496-6079.
FaxFax: 780-496-6054
In Person

Sustainable Development
5th Floor, 10250 - 101 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3P4

Hours of operation: 8am-4:30pm
Monday through Friday


Sustainable Development
5th Floor, 10250 - 101 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3P4


Permits and fees are only required if the fence is over the allowed height as designated by the zoning bylaw

The 2016 development permit fee (effective January 1, 2016, if required) is $165 ($206 if development permit is discretionary and notices need to be sent out)

Contact the City About This Service

For More Information

Permits and Licensing Service Centre

Sustainable Development
5th floor, 10250 - 101 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 3P4

Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm


In Edmonton: 311

Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

Fax 780-496-6054