The City of Edmonton no longer licenses garage sales.
These rules still apply to garage sales in Edmonton:
- A maximum of 3 garage sales per calendar year may be held from one location and for no longer than 3 consecutive days.
- Garage sale holders are liable and obligated to ensure the items sold at a garage sale are safe and have not been recalled by the manufacturer for the product.
- For a listing of items that should not be sold, please visit Health Canada or view Facts for garage sale vendors.
- Garage sale signs must not be posted on City property.
- Holding garage sales longer than the allotted times requires a development permit and business licence.
To register a complaint:
- Provide a complainant's name, address and telephone number
- Observations about the number and duration of sales
- Fill out a witness statement form and appear in court as a witness should a ticket be issued and contested.
For more information:
Current Planning Service Centre
5th floor, 10250 - 101 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 3P4
Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm
In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311