Business Licensing Changes
City Council recently approved changes to several business licence categories.
The new regulations and business licence categories are now in effect for all new licences and will be applied to existing licences on your next renewal date.
This overview is intended to help you understand these changes and how they affect your business.
Changes Affecting All Businesses
Council has approved 5 changes that affect all businesses:
- All corporate applicants will have to provide a
with their business licence applications.
- Development permits will have to be approved by the City before a business licence is issued.
- Instead of regulatory referrals, applications for certain categories of businesses have to be sent to other agencies for a recommendation before the City can issue a licence. Other applications may be forwarded to other agencies simply to notify them of the new business.
- Certain non-profit organizations can qualify for reduced fees when applying for a business licence.
- Names and definitions of some business licence categories have been updated to better reflect the type of business.
Changes Affecting Adult-Oriented Services
We are in the process of contacting licensed body rub practitioners and body rub centres for feedback and expect that a report on the issue will be presented to Council in the Spring.
The City is also currently considering changes to the Zoning Bylaw that would regulate the location of body rub centres in Edmonton.
Council has approved 7 changes that affect adult-oriented businesses:
- The Massage Practitioners Bylaw, Escort Licensing Bylaw, and Exotic Entertainers Bylaw will be repealed and 9 new licence categories will be created in the Business Licence Bylaw: Body Rub Practitioner, Body Rub Centre, Escort, Escort Agency, Escort Agency (Independent), Exotic Entertainer, Exotic Entertainment Agency, and Exotic Entertainment Venue.
- A will have to be submitted for anyone applying for these licence categories.
- A will have to be submitted for all primary managers, owners, partners, directors, and officers of any corporation applying for these categories.
- All licence applications for Exotic Entertainment Venues, Body Rub Centres, and Escort Agencies will be sent to the for a recommendation before being approved or denied. The same can be done for the other categories, at the discretion of the City's Chief Licensing Officer.
- Applicants for these licence categories will be required to pass an information course to learn about all the employment standards, regulations, and laws that apply to this type of work.
- New regulations will apply to advertising and body rub practitioners will not be allowed work alone.
- Businesses that offer some form of exotic entertainment will be required to have an Exotic Entertainment Venue licence in addition to any other required licences.
Changes Affecting Alcohol Service
Council has approved 5 changes that affect businesses that serve alcohol:
- Businesses where alcohol is consumed (such as bars and restaurants) will be sorted into 2 categories: Alcohol Sales [Consumption On Premises/Minors Allowed] and Alcohol Sales [Consumption On Premises/Minors Prohibited]. The Bar/Lounge, Dance Club, and Nightclub categories will no longer exist.
- Businesses where alcohol is sold for consumption elsewhere will be licensed as Alcohol Sales [Off Premises].
- All licence applications for establishments where minors are prohibited will be sent to the and for a recommendation before being approved or denied.
- A will have to be submitted for all primary managers, owners, partners, directors, and officers of any corporation for establishments where minors are prohibited.
- Establishments where minors are prohibited, and after-hours clubs, will have to submit a patron management plan, noise control plan, security plan, and safety/medical plan. The complexity of these plans will vary depending on the activities occurring in and around the business.
Change Affecting Afterhours Events and ClubsCouncil did not approve any changes that affect afterhours dance events and clubs.
Changes Affecting Massage and Natural Health Practitioners
Council has approved 4 changes that affect massage and natural health practitioners:
- The Massage Practitioners Bylaw will be repealed and 5 new licence categories will be created in the Business Licence Bylaw: Health Enhancement Practitioner, Health Enhancement Centre, Health Enhancement Centre (Independent), Body Rub Practitioner, and Body Rub Centre.
- To be issued a health enhancement licence, applicants will have to prove good standing in either the
, or the
- Licence applications for health enhancement centres will be sent to Edmonton Fire Rescue for a recommendation before being approved or denied.
- Applicants that cannot prove good standing in the above associations will have to apply for the body rub licence categories, or another category if applicable.
Changes Affecting Public Markets, Second Hand Stores and Pawn Shops
Council has approved 5 changes that affect public markets, second hand stores and pawn shops:
- The Public Market business licence category has been separated into 4 new categories: Farmers' Market, Festival, Flea Market, and Flea Market Vendor.
- Applications for pawn shop, second hand store, and flea market licences will now be sent to the for a recommendation before being approved or denied.
- All flea market operators must now keep a record of all vendors and types of goods bought and sold.
- A is required for all primary managers, owners, partners, directors, and officers of any corporation applying for a Flea Market licence.
- All vendors selling goods in a flea market are required to have a Flea Market Vendor licence and can only buy and sell certain goods.
Changes Affecting Tobacco Sales
Council has approved 1 change that affects tobacco sales:
- The Tobacco Sales licence category will include businesses that sell tobacco-related products.
Changes Affecting Vehicle Repair and Vehicle Sales/Rentals
Council has approved 2 changes that affect vehicle repair, rental, and sales businesses:
- The Vehicle Repair licence category will include vehicle painting and body repair.
- approval will be required before business licences are issued for the Vehicle Repair and Vehicle Sales/Rentals licence categories.
For more information:
|Title||Business Licensing Advisor|