Popular Searches
  • Big Bin Events
  • Eco Stations
  • Edmonton Maps
  • Pay Tickets
  • Permits
  • Spray Parks
  • Street Cleaning

Contact Us Visiting?

Zoning Bylaw 12800

The Zoning Bylaw contains the rules and regulations for the development of land in Edmonton. For the purpose of land development, the City of Edmonton is divided into zones. 

There are 15 residential zones and seven commercial zones. The zone that a particular property is located in determines what can be built on that property.

Guidelines are also in place for developing in mature neighbourhoods; please see the regulations in the
Mature Neighbourhood Overlay for detailed information.

Components of the Zoning Bylaw

The Zoning Bylaw is divided into four parts:

  • Part I - General Administrative and Regulatory Clauses
  • Part II - All land use Zones, Overlays and Special Areas
  • Part III - Zoning Map
  • Part IV:

The Zoning Bylaw, 12800 (2016) is available in PDF format. Please note that this format of Zoning Bylaw No. 12800 is only updated periodically and is provided for convenience and information purposes only and is not to be relied upon or represented as the official version of the Bylaw.

Learn More About City Zoning

The following information is also available:

  • The What is Zoning? brochure offers a basic explanation of what zoning is, and how it shapes neighbourhoods and the city
  • The Zoning Matrix shows the zones where various uses are allowed (such as General Retail Stores)
  • The 2016 Zoning Fee Matrix (effective January 1, 2016) lists the fees charged by the City for zoning changes

Rezoning Property

If you are considering rezoning a property, the City of Edmonton has developed a web-based application process. Please visit Land Development Applications for more information.

All current and proposed zoning is available at maps.edmonton.ca.

Zoning Confirmation Letter

A zoning confirmation letter is written confirmation from the City of Edmonton stating the zone that a particular property is located in. If you require this service, please visit Zoning Confirmation Letters for more information. There is a fee for a confirmation letter.

Zoning Bylaw Text Amendments

The regulations in the Zoning Bylaw can be changed by City Council. Please visit Zoning Bylaw Text Amendments for more information.

For More Information

Permits and Licensing Service Centre

Sustainable Development
5th floor, 10250 - 101 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 3P4

Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm


In Edmonton: 311

Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

Fax 780-496-6054