Zoning Bylaw 12800
The Zoning Bylaw contains the rules and regulations for the development of land in Edmonton. For the purpose of land development, the City of Edmonton is divided into zones.
There are 15 residential zones and seven commercial zones. The zone that a particular property is located in determines what can be built on that property.
Guidelines are also in place for developing in mature neighbourhoods; please see the regulations in the Mature Neighbourhood Overlay for detailed information.
Components of the Zoning Bylaw
- Part I - General Administrative and Regulatory Clauses
- Part II - All land use Zones, Overlays and Special Areas
- Part III -
- Part IV:
The Zoning Bylaw, 12800 (2016) is available in PDF format. Please note that this format of Zoning Bylaw No. 12800 is only updated periodically and is provided for convenience and information purposes only and is not to be relied upon or represented as the official version of the Bylaw.
Learn More About City Zoning
The following information is also available:
- The What is Zoning? brochure offers a basic explanation of what zoning is, and how it shapes neighbourhoods and the city
- The shows the zones where various uses are allowed (such as General Retail Stores)
- The 2016 Zoning Fee Matrix (effective January 1, 2016) lists the fees charged by the City for zoning changes
All current and proposed zoning is available at maps.edmonton.ca.
Zoning Confirmation Letter
A zoning confirmation letter is written confirmation from the City of Edmonton stating the zone that a particular property is located in. If you require this service, please visit Zoning Confirmation Letters for more information. There is a fee for a confirmation letter.
Zoning Bylaw Text Amendments
The regulations in the Zoning Bylaw can be changed by City Council. Please visit Zoning Bylaw Text Amendments for more information.
For More Information
Permits and Licensing Service Centre
5th floor, 10250 - 101 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 3P4
Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm
In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311