Weed Control on Private Property

Noxious weeds 'Public Enemies' banner

The Government of Alberta regulates the spread of noxious weeds and prohibited noxious weeds through the Weed Control Act.

The City doesn't regulate nuisance weeds, like dandelions, on private property but does control both noxious and nuisance weeds on public property using green turf management practices.

Prevention is Best

Control noxious weeds early by regularly inspecting your property. A healthy lawn can prevent the establishment of most weeds. Choose native plants that are not invasive. Be cautious when planting non-native seed mixes, as noxious weeds can be part of the mixes. Educate yourself on prohibited weeds under the Weed Control Act.


Municipal Enforcement Officers will be patrolling the city for noxious weeds, as well as promptly responding to citizen complaints. If regulated weeds are found on your property, you will receive a Local Authority notice to remove or control the weeds on your property. If you do not, the City has the authority under the Act to enter your property and initiate remedial weed control measures. All control costs incurred by the City are added to your property bill.

Costs vary on the amount of infestation and area to be cleared but range from  $250/mow to $5,000/mow or more.

Reporting Your Concerns

If you have a concern about noxious weeds:

  • Discuss the concern with the property owner.
  • If you are unable to resolve the issue with the property owner directly, call 311.
  • Provide the 311 agent with your name, address, phone number, and a description of your concern.

Responding to Your Complaint

After you call 311, the City:

    1. Creates a file specifying your concerns.
    2. Sends a Municipal Enforcement Officer (MEO) to investigate within 4 business days.
    3. Delivers a warning notice to the property owner within 10 days containing directions for remedying the problem.
    4. Issues an order, which allows the City to fix the problem and bill the property owner for the cost if there is non-compliance.

      Protecting your Privacy

      The information you provide will be used to process your complaint, but your name and address will not be made available to anyone else. For more information on how the City protects your privacy visit Freedom of Information and Privacy.

      Nuisance Properties

      Under the Community Standards Bylaw, the City of Edmonton also has the authority to regulate long grass and unkempt yards.

      If in addition to noxious weeds, City inspectors find long grass and an untidy yard, the City of Edmonton may issue you a notice under the Community Standards bylaw. For more information, see Problem Properties.

      For More Information

      Online Contact 311 Online

      In Edmonton: 311

      Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

      TTY 780-944-5555
      Email 311@edmonton.ca