NoiseThe Community Standards Bylaw regulates noise in the community. Noise is sound that disturbs your peace, comfort, or rest, or affects the safety or health of citizens.
Owners of vehicles can be ticketed for exceeding the sound level limits. Engine retarded brakes are not allowed in Edmonton.
Oversized vehicles must use established truck routes. For more information regarding Truck Routes or where to obtain a Truck Route Map, call 311.
Noise from construction work is only permitted:
- Monday through Saturday - 7am-10pm
- Sunday and Holidays - 9am-7pm
Who enforces noise infractions?
There are two enforcement agencies for noise:
- Community Standards Peace Officers (CPOs) enforce noise from machinery, commercial enterprises, garbage trucks and construction
- The Edmonton Police Service, at 780-423-4567, enforces noise from people or vehicles such as stunting, honking, or stereos
- The Edmonton Police Service also enforces motorcycle noise restrictions. The sound from a motorcycle must be less than 92 decibels at idle and 96 at 2000 rpm
Reporting Your Concerns
If you have a concern about noise:
- Discuss the concern with the person making the noise if safe to do so
- Record the address of the violation and a description of the problem if you can't resolve it directly with the worker or business owner
- Call 311
- Provide your name, address, phone number, and the details of your concern in case your testimony is required in court
Responding to Your Complaint
After you call 311, the City takes these steps to help with your issue:
- A file is created specifying your concerns
- A Community Standards Peace Officer (CPO) opens an investigation
- The officer investigates your complaint within 4 business days
- The CPO may issue a warning notice with directions to remedy the problem within a specified time frame or issue a bylaw ticket with a $250 fine depending on the circumstances
- The officer may issue an order, which allows the City to fix the problem and bill the property owner for the cost
- The City may contact you to appear as a witness, if the matter goes to court
Protecting your Privacy
The information you provide will be used to process your complaint, but your name and address will not be made available to anyone else. For more information on how the City protects your privacy visit Freedom of Information and Privacy.
For More Information
|Online||Contact 311 Online|
In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311