The Waste Management Bylaw helps to maintain a clean, safe and efficient system for the collection, removal and disposal of waste from residential and commercial property throughout the municipality.
Improperly stored waste can become a nuisance when there is too much garbage that has broken open and not been cleaned up.
Waste BinsTo prevent your garbage from being opened by scavengers or blowing onto your neighbour's property:
- Use only waste bins with lids that completely cover the waste bin
- Keep waste bins closed at all times except when loading and unloading garbage
- Prevent garbage from becoming smelly or blowing out of the bin
- Put household waste out on your scheduled garbage day between 7am and 10pm to ensure safe collection and handling of the garbage.
- Filled garbage bags should be lighter than 20 kg (44 lbs). You should be able to carry each bag or can with one hand.
Reporting Your Concerns
If you have a concern about unsafe or unhealthy garbage storage:
- Discuss the concern directly with your neighbour
- Record the address of the violation and a description of the problem if you can't resolve the problem directly with your neighbour
- Call 311
- Provide your name, address, phone number, and the details of your concern in case your testimony is required in court
Responding to Your Complaint
After you call 311, the City takes these steps to help with your issue:
- A file is created specifying your concerns
- A Municipal Enforcement Officer (MEO) opens an investigation
- The officer investigates your complaint
- The MEO may issue a warning notice with directions to remedy the problem within a specified time frame or issue a bylaw ticket with a $250 fine depending on the circumstances
- The officer may issue an order, which allows the City to fix the problem and bill the property owner for the cost
- The City may contact you to appear as a witness, if the matter goes to court
Protecting your Privacy
The information you provide will be used to process your complaint, but your name and address will not be made available to anyone else. For more information on how the City protects your privacy visit Freedom of Information and Privacy.
For more information:
Current Planning Service Centre
5th floor, 10250 - 101 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 3P4
Hours of Operation:Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm
In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311