Popular Searches
  • Big Bin Events
  • Business Licensing
  • Eco Stations
  • Movies on the Square
  • Pay Tickets
  • Permits
  • Spray Parks

Contact Us Visiting?

Building and Structure

The requires that all occupied buildings, unoccupied buildings, and other structures on private property be kept in good repair to promote healthy neighbourhoods and ensure community safety.

Prevent buildings on your property from becoming problem properties.

Cultivating Good Repair

A building in good repair is free from:

  • General damage
  • Rot
  • Deterioration
  • Inappropriate entry of air, moisture, or water

Maintaining Your Home and Other Structures

Maintain the building’s:

  • Foundation and walls
  • Exterior walls
  • Roof
  • Windows including casings
  • Doors including frames
  • Exterior stairs
  • Landings
  • Porches, balconies, and decks
  • Protective or decorative finishes of exterior surfaces such as stucco, paint, and siding

Recognizing Nuisance Properties

Any property that is untidy, unsightly, offensive, dangerous, or interferes with the use or enjoyment of neighbouring properties is a nuisance.

Nuisances properties may include:

  • Uncut grass
  • Weeds
  • Wrecked, dismantled, abandoned, unregistered, or uninsured vehicles
  • Standing pools of water
  • Smelly compost heaps
  • Dense dust or smoke from fire pits
  • Untidy garbage storage
  • Accumulation of construction materials, tires, auto parts, or litter

Preserving Unoccupied Buildings

To prevent unauthorized entry to unoccupied buildings and maintain your property:
  • Secure windows and doors using solid pieces of treated wood applied from the exterior
  • Mow the lawn on the property and adjacent boulevards
  • Clean fallen leaves from the property and adjacent boulevards
  • Clear snow and ice from every walk and driveway on or beside the property

Reporting Your Concerns

If you have a concern about a neighbour's building or structure:

  • Discuss the concern with your neighbour
  • Record the address of the violation and a description of the problem if you can't resolve it directly with your neighbour
  • Call 311 or register an online complaint
  • Provide your name, address, phone number, and the details of your concern in case your testimony is required in court

Responding to Your Complaint

After you call 311, the City takes these steps to help with your issue:

  1. A file is created specifying your concerns
  2. A Municipal Enforcement Officer (MEO) opens an investigation
  3. The officer investigates your complaint within 4 business days
  4. The MEO may issue a warning notice with directions to remedy the problem within a specified time frame or issue a bylaw ticket with a $250 fine depending on the circumstances
  5. The officer may issue an order, which allows the City to fix the problem and bill the property owner for the cost
  6. The City may contact you to appear as a witness, if the matter goes to court

Protecting your Privacy

The information you provide will be used to process your complaint, but your name and address will not be made available to anyone else. For more information on how the City protects your privacy visit Freedom of Information and Privacy.

For More Information

Permits and Licensing Service Centre

Sustainable Development
5th floor, 10250 - 101 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 3P4

Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm


In Edmonton: 311

Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

Fax 780-496-6054