Animal Rescue Fund
The Animal Rescue Fund (ARF) is a grant provided to not-for-profit pet rescue organizations. These grants are specific for rescue animals in need of medical attention that aligns with the Animal Care and Control missions, such as, spay and neuter, vaccinations, microchipping, dental and surgeries that result in an increased adoptability rate for the animal. Pet rescue groups may apply to the City of Edmonton using the Animal Rescue Fund Application found below.
- Applications are accepted quarterly beginning January 1 of the current year. One application per quarter, per rescue.
- Applications are accepted until November 30 of the current year (while allocated funds are available).
- All Final Reports must be submitted by December 15, of the current year.
Who Can Apply?
- Rescue groups that have a home base of Edmonton, Alberta with special consideration given to groups who support the Animal Care & Control Centre and the Edmonton Humane Society.
- Rescue groups that are registered as a non-profit company with the business goal of pet rescue, pet adoption and humane animal care.
- Groups that carry liability insurance of not less than $2 million inclusive limit for any one occurrence.
- Rescue groups that ensure their dogs and cats are spayed or neutered prior to being adopted.
- Organizations that are committed to actively promote City of Edmonton/municipal pet licensing as part of their adoption process.
- Rescue groups that support the rescue AND adoption of pets within Edmonton city limits. If a rescue’s target community is not Edmonton based, these funds can be utilized for animals who were in care at Edmonton’s Animal Care & Control Centre and transferred to the Edmonton Humane Society, prior to being transferred to the rescue.
- Rescues that are in good standing with the City of Edmonton, the Animal Care & Control Centre, the Edmonton Humane Society and the Alberta SPCA.
Who Cannot Apply?
- Individuals or for-profit businesses.
- Rescues that do not reside within Edmonton city limits (special consideration will be given to rescues from outside of Edmonton that support the adoption or care of animals from Animal Care & Control Centre and the Edmonton Humane Society.
- Rescue groups in arrears of payments and bylaw with the City of Edmonton at the time of the review of application shall not be recommended for the Animal Rescue Fund (ARF).
- Rescue groups that are, or have been, under investigation by the Animal Care & Control Centre, the Edmonton Humane Society and/or the Alberta SPCA.
What is the funding limit?
Applicants may apply for up to $2000 of funding per grant submission. Please outline your request and how the funds will be used in the enclosed application package.
What qualifies for an ARF grant?
- Targeted spay/neuter initiatives.
- Applications for the care of animals rescued from directly within Edmonton city limits.
- Applications for the care of animals transferred from Edmonton’s Animal Care & Control Centre (ACCC) directly to the rescue.
- Applications for the care of animals who were in care at Edmonton’s Animal Care & Control Centre and transferred to the Edmonton Humane Society, prior to being transferred to the rescue.
- Funds can be used to increase the adoptability of rescue pets from Edmonton and area through medical care, dental care, spaying/neutering, permanent I.D. (microchipping or tattooing), vaccinations, and transportation to/from other communities.
- Applications require proof of matched funds, partnerships, community in-kind contributions, volunteer participation or donations.
What does NOT qualify for an ARF grant?
- Hiring of organizational staff
- Projects, programs, events or workshops
- Costs associated with building maintenance and/or construction, computer and technology needs.
- Any related honorariums or rebates
- Applications for animals that are not rescued from within Edmonton city limits.
How do I apply?
- Complete the Animal Rescue Fund Application.
- Provide the supporting documentation listed on the application checklist.
- SIGN the Use of Funds and Right to Audit agreements.
- Submit within the appropriate deadlines stated above.
Submit completed applications.
Citizen Services Department
City of Edmonton
13550 163 Street
Edmonton, AB T5V 0B2
For More Information