Boo at the Zoo!
Get Closer... Be Not Afraid!
Date: October 28, 2012
Boo at the Zoo is back and better than ever! Get Closer… Be Not Afraid! This must attend Halloween event has something for everyone! Show up in your coolest costume with your environmentally friendly trick or treat bag while you “Get Closer” to the wonders of the animal kingdom.
Go on the Spooky Treat Stop Scavenger Hunt to receive some sustainable palm oil candy! Win a cool prize at the Pumpkin Patch Prize Hunt or be brave and take a walk through the Extinct Animal Graveyard! Stop by the elephant yard and watch the Elephant Jack-O-Lantern Stomp or relax and enjoy the Frightening Airbrushed Tattoo’s.
For an extra special treat enjoy the incredible live spooky music, the Glow Poi demonstrations or wander through the Adventure Bus!
There will also be a number of animal encounters, magic shows, and a very special and spooky Witches Den attraction. Just one more reason to make Boo at the Zoo one of your Halloween traditions!
Want to skip the line up? Buy your tickets in advance for front of the line access!
Activities from 11-4pm Inclusive:
- Get Closer with Halloween Animal Encounters (Inner Zoo) Watch for Roving Interpreters with a variety of animals for you to meet.
- Terrifying Touch Table (Learning Lair) Learn about some of the most common animal phobias and why these animals might not be so scary after all. Face your fears and check out some artifacts and pictures of scary looking creatures!
- Frightening Airbrushed Tattoo’s with the Purple Team (Saito Centre) Fantastic frightening tattoo’s. Neat-o!
- Screamin’ Streamers! (Saito) Scare up a storm with your very own Screamin’ Streamer Crafts!
- Night Hunters Monster Mural! (Saito) Learn what animals are “Night Hunters” and help us colour this giant mural!
- Spooky Treat Stop Scavenger Hunt! (Throughout Zoo) A spectacular scavenger hunt to take you around the zoo to visit the “spooky” animals and receive some sustainable palm oil candy! This helps orangutan conservation and deforestation due to non-sustainable palm oil production in Indonesia and Malaysia. Be sure to get your scavenger hunt stamped so you can bring it to the Saito Centre to get even more candy!
- Pumpkin Patch Prize Hunt (In front of Saito) Pick your Pumpkin carefully! Answer an educational Halloween Zoo question and win a prize!
- The Witches Den (Round House) Visit the Witches Den to touch all kinds of different spooky things like a witches eyes, hair, toes, and more!
- The Adventure Bus (Outside Main Entrance) An active adventure with a Halloween twist!
- Glow Poi Demonstrations by Fire Inspired (Concession) Catch these entertainers doing tricks with hula hoops, soft poi, and so much more! You will even get to try them out yourself!
- Extinct Animal Cemetery (Grassy Hill by Birds of Prey) Take a walk through the Extinct Animal Cemetery to learn when animals went extinct!
- Royal Alberta Museum Insect Displays (Central Hall Program Space) Handle a variety of creepy crawly insects!
Time Specific Activities:
|11am||Elephant Talk & Jack-O-Lantern Pumpkin Stomp
Watch this amazing display!
|noon, 1, 2, & 3pm||Amazing Live Music
Enjoy the amazing live music!
|In Front of Saito|
|11:30am, 12:30, 1:30 & 2:30 pm||The Mystical Magic Show!
Take a break and enjoy the magnificent magic tricks!
|noon||Pumpkin Enrichment – White Handed Gibbon
Watch as our 2 resident gibbons receive a carved pumpkin!
|1 pm||Pumpkin Enrichment – Spider Monkeys
Watch the spider monkeys receive a special Halloween Treat!
|Spider Monkey Enclosure|
|1-3pm||Edmonton Fire Rescue
Learn all about Halloween Safety and see a real fire truck!
|Outside Main Entrance|
|2pm||Wolf Talk and Pumpkin Enrichment
All about Arctic Wolves! Watch as Shilah and Kayok receive their very own pumpkins!
|Arctic Wolf Enclosure|
|3pm||Get Closer! Myths and Misunderstood Animals
Drop in to the nocturnal wing and let your eyes adjust so you can take a close look at one of the most misunderstood animals – bats!
For more information:
Edmonton Valley Zoo
13315 Buena Vista Road (87th Avenue)
PO Box 2359
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 2R7
|Telephone||In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311