Outdoor Skating & Ice Rinks
Skaters have several choices for public outdoor ice skating surfaces in Edmonton. The City maintains both ground and pond ice rinks in the major parks. Children and inexperienced skaters should use an approved helmet while on the ice to prevent injuries.
Be Safe on Ice
City-operated ice surfaces are monitored on a daily basis and will be closed if unsafe. Be safe on ice - please keep off closed ice surfaces and obey all signage.
Note: Sticks, balls and pucks are only allowed in a designated shinny/hockey area. Pets are not allowed. For more information, please see public skating guidelines.
Located in Castle Downs Park, 153 Avenue & 115 Street.
- Outdoor skate change
- Washrooms located inside the pavilion, open 8am-10pm
Located in front of City Hall, 1 Sir Winston Churchill Square.
Change room (located on the southeast corner of City Hall) is open:
- Monday to Friday, 10am-10pm
- Saturdays, 10am-5pm
- Sundays & holidays, 11am-5pm
Located in Jackie Parker Park, 50 Street & 44 Avenue.
- Washrooms open 7am-9pm
Meadows Community Recreation Outdoor Leisure Ice
Located at Meadows Community Recreation Centre, 2704-17 St NW
- Free admission
- Ice surface open 8am-10:30pm
- Indoor washrooms
- Skate change rooms - adjacent to the ice
Located in Rundle Park, 113 Avenue & 29 Street.
- Rundle Family Center Pavilion open 9am-10pm
- Ice surface open 10am-10pm
Located in Victoria Park Oval, 12130 River Valley Road.
- Skate change rooms
- Victoria Pavilion Winter Warming Chalet open 9am-10pm
- Ice surface open 10am-10pm **Except during Ice Closures **
- Freezeway Pilot Winter Skating Trail 10am-10pm
- Access during ice closures will be at the East end of the Parking Lot. There is no access to the Oval during closures
**Victoria ice surface is closed during scheduled maintenance on:
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays from 5-6pm
- Mondays & Saturdays from 8-10am
No public skating (reserved by the Edmonton Speed Skating Association):
- Mondays & Wednesdays from 6-7pm
- Tuesdays & Thursdays from 6-9pm
Located in William Hawrelak Park, 9330 Groat Road.
- Warming pavilion open 9am-10pm
- Ice surface open 11am-10pm
Other Outdoor Skating
City Drainage Bylaw 16200 prohibits skating on stormwater lakes. The City has signage posted at all stormwater facilities advising residents to keep off the ice because conditions are unknown. Due to the nature and the function of stormwater lakes, ice conditions can be unpredictable and dangerous. Moving water, temperature changes underwater due to vegetation or drainage and fluctuating weather conditions can all result in unsafe ice conditions not visible from the surface.
For More Information
For information about City-operated rinks listed above:
|Telephone||In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311